A life of love

A life of love
Everyone should have a Great Pyrenees

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Do the Next Thing


We are preparing for our trip!  So much to do!  So much to prepare at home and for leaving!  I tend to be the Mom who wants to have it generally planned out so I feel comfortable and in control when I am not here!  Can't do that from the other side of the world, but I am trying to make sure there are meals ready, schedules prepared, helpers available, and generally that all our ducks are in a row times eight kids.  
I was on a blog (sherigraham.com) and found this this morning.  It seemed very appropriate for where we are, and I think I will have to print it out and frame it for my wall.
Elisabeth Elliot often quoted this poem (I am not sure if she wrote it or not).
                Do The Next Thing 
“At an old English parsonage down by the sea,
  there came in the twilight a message to me.
  Its quaint Saxon legend deeply engraven
  that, as it seems to me, teaching from heaven.
  And all through the hours the quiet words ring,
  like a low inspiration, ‘Do the next thing.’
Many a questioning, many a fear,
  many a doubt hath its quieting here.
  Moment by moment, let down from heaven,
  time, opportunity, guidance are given.
  Fear not tomorrow, child of the King,
  trust that with Jesus, do the next thing.
Do it immediately, do it with prayer,
  do it reliantly, casting all care.
  Do it with reverence, tracing His hand,
  who placed it before thee with earnest command.
  Stayed on omnipotence, safe ‘neath His wing,
  leave all resultings, do the next thing.
Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
  working or suffering be thy demeanor,
  in His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
  the light of His countenance, be thy psalm.
  Do the next thing.”

"For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: