A life of love

A life of love
Everyone should have a Great Pyrenees

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christ is Born!!!!

I feel like I should say "well, sort of".  Yes, we are celebrating Christmas to commemorate Christ's birth.  I am so grateful overall.  Yes, we DO realize that he was actually born around Passover, which is around Easter time.  I get it.  Honestly, I get it even better than you might think.  Since we aren't totally sure of the actual birth date of several of our children (though we do believe that we are close, and the kids are very happy with what information we have and what dates they (and we) have settled on).  Honestly the celebration really doesn't matter what day it actually occurred.  How many times have we celebrated Christmas several times over the course of time, in order to celebrate with family and friends at convenient times.  It didn't really matter.

I am going to go out on a limb here, and I hope I am not scripturally widely off base here (but I will claim, that as being the mom to ten kids, running a small farm, homeschooling and all - well, I haven't researched it as well as I could have, as I am sure many academicians have - but, honestly, I don't think that He cares what day we pick to celebrate His birth.  Honestly, since we are more than two thousand years since His birth, I think He might forgive us for getting a bit mixed up about the actual day.  But I really don't see Christ caring.  I don't think He cares what day we tell Him we love Him.  I don't think He cares what day we do kindnesses in His name.  I think every day we should do kindnesses in His name!  As long as we are spending time trying to remember that He came, when He didn't have to, that He left His wonderful heaven, to live out our life here - dirty, painful, uncomfortable, and just plain messy.  I think of all the day in and day out things that we live through with human bodies, with an imperfect earth and with imperfect people - well, Christ came and lived it out just as we do.  He didn't have to.  Not to mention the Cross.  Just the daily things.  He didn't have to live it out.  I bet He got bellyaches, headaches, and all those human things.  He never had to do that.  And THEN He went to the Cross!

Anyway.  Tonight is Christmas Eve, as well as Aman's 16th birthday, and according to the paperwork I have, Azeb's 3rd birthday (while she is still far away in Ethiopia - I have been told not to dwell on that as I SO desperately want my littles home but am sitting at the feet of Jesus, learning patience, or at least complaining about it!).  Tonight we will set our simple Christmas presents under the tree, once the kids go to bed.  Nothing fancy, except one huge surprise that we were blessed with.  Before the kids are sent to bed, we will read the Christmas story from the book of Luke.  We will remind each other of what is important in life.  We will be thankful for our Lord and Savior, and our God who blessed us with His Son.  I don't know that I would have that strength - I am a bit of a "mama bear" as my husband says. 

God is good.  He has provided for all our needs.  We would always in our greed want more abundance - doesn't everyone, but we are learning thankfulness for a simple life.  I am so grateful for each and every one of my kids, for my devoted husband.  No woman is more blessed than I at this point.  I know gratitude and contentment (and I will be MUCH more content when Azeb and Kahsu are home!).  It is a long, hard lesson some days, but I imagine that Christ had to really wonder about all that He had left - imagine a soggy diaper!!!  Yuck!  That is WAY a human thing.

Anyway, God bless you all, be thankful for what you are blessed with, and remember that it isn't about "stuff".  It is about Christ, and family and love.  You know that I am preaching to myself too.  It would be great fun to shower my kids with all their desires, but that wouldn't be good for them, would it.  And so God is with us.  He blesses us in the RIGHT way.  WE cannot see that, but He does.  Merry Christmas everyone!  God bless you all!!!!


"For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: