A life of love

A life of love
Everyone should have a Great Pyrenees

Saturday, October 2, 2010

I hate cancer!

Today, the world lost a great man of faith - Clint Hungerford.  Most people in the world will never know his name, but I remember him.  I haven't seen him since I was 13 - and I am WAY older than that now.  But he lived out his life in faith, raised his family as best he could, and left memories in my mind of a steadfast faith.

I know that my Dad met him at the gates of heaven today to welcome him home.  Those two were such great friends, raising kids at the same time, in the same church, helping to build onto it - that is the kind of memories I have from before my sixth year of life.  We moved away but never lost touch, and I saw Clint again after my dad's death.  And our families have kept in touch one way or the other since.

So, here is my rant!  Cancer stinks - the lung cancer (and no, he didn't smoke) may not have taken him, but the toll on him from the treatment did.  Another family is grieving, a wonderful man taken from this world too soon.  But, we all have hope - and the knowledge that we do not grieve in vain - we will see our loved ones again.  We can be thankful and secure that Clint (as my dad) were steadfast in their salvation in Christ, whatever their human failings.  For in Christ, we can rest secure in our hope and our love.  Christ loves us, no matter our flaws, and though we try to be perfect, Christ loves us as the striving people we are.  I am so very far from perfect, but I know that Christ accepts me as I am, and for him, I will forever strive to do better.  Thank you Lord, for welcoming home a dear friend today.  I am rejoicing that his pain is over, that his body is healed, healthy and disease and pain free.  I am rejoicing that he is finally where he was created to be, home with God.  I am grief stricken for his family who now is going to live without this wonderful man.  God will hold them up, and we will keep praying for them. 

So, for all the small heroes out there - know that you are not forgotten - you may think your life is normal and small, but it has far reaching consequences, including a person you knew as a child, who still remembers you as a great man of faith. 

Clint, I want to tell you that your life showed Christ's love.  That I saw it, even as a child, in the little things you did.  I remember, and you might think that I might not. 

The Hungerford family (and all the married names of Clint's daughters - I don't know them all) our prayers are with you, I am shedding tears with you, nothing compared to the tears you are shedding.  You will be in our prayers and thoughts for quite some time.  You stood alongside our family when my dad died and have always been there for us.  We can and do understand what you are going through.  Cancer is a terrible thing - it took first my dad and now Clint.  But both are home in heaven with our Lord - there is no greater joy.  We will be praying for you all!  Hugs and love,
Christy

"For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: